Imagine walking the dusty roads of Galilee with Jesus of Nazareth—braving jostling crowds just to touch the edge of His cloak and hear Him say, "Take heart, daughter, your faith has healed you."
Those words, once meant to comfort a hurting woman’s soul thousands of years ago, were also meant for you.
Join biblical culturalist Kristi McLelland on those dusty roads as she transports you back to Jesus’ world, following in the footsteps of the women who came face-to-face with the Living God. Over 7 sessions, examine the historical and cultural climate of first-century Middle Eastern society to not only understand Jesus more deeply but to fuel your worship of Him today.
Leader Kit Includes:
- One Bible study book with personal study segments to complete between 7 weeks of group sessions and leader guide to lead discussion within small groups
- DVDs with essential teaching videos, approximately 60 minutes per session
- Card with 3 additional digital downloads of teaching videos
- Explore how Jesus generously restores dignity and honor to women in the first century and now.
- Gain deeper insight into the biblical world, including fresh perspective on familiar Bible stories.
- Discover the Bible through the lens of Middle Eastern culture.
- Session 1 (61:03)—In this introductory session, Kristi explains the Middle Eastern concept of understanding the Bible in contrast to the Western way we view it and unpacks the story of Jesus and the woman with the issue of blood, encouraging women to take heart because of God's care for them.
- Session 2 (62:46)—Kristi traces God's intention for woman from the beginning, highlighting notable women mentioned in the Bible. She then explains the loss of cultural honor and significance for women in Jesus' first century world. Jesus came on the scene in the first century and began setting women back in their proper place, restoring their dignity and honor by providing justice and righteousness for each of them.
- Session 3 (62:31)—Kristi unpacks the John 4 story of the woman at the well, detailing the contentious history between the Jews and the Samaritans along with other social politics of the day.
- Session 4 (62:04)—Walking through the importance of table fellowship and hospitality in Jesus' first century world, Kristi then explains the Luke 7 story of the woman who anoints Jesus' feet with her tears and wipes them with her hair.
- Session 5 (59:14)—Kristi expounds on the oral teaching tradition that was so prominent in Jesus' day and explores many of the parables in Luke, showing how Jesus' use of women in His teaching was a revolutionary way of showing the world that women have a part in the kingdom of God.
- Session 6 (60:46)—Diving into the story of the woman caught in adultery shared in John 7, Kristi details some of the gospel parallels therein and shows Jesus' care for women in this situation.
- Session 7 (60:17)—In this final session, Kristi explores the stories of Mary, the mother of Jesus, and the story of Mary and Martha, both kingdom adventures that God invited women to be a part of.